Thursday, June 08, 2006

I re-read Charlotte's Web yesterday. I started during my prep at school because I had to read a chapter to the class and I hate going into the middle of the story. My lunch was interrupted and I didn't get to make it the whole way through, but fortunately I have a copy at home. My aunt gave it to me when I was around 8 or 9. I finished it before I went to sleep last night.

It is so wonderful to go back and read childhood favorite's of mine as an adult. As a child I never appreciated that the whole town really considered seeing the words "Some Pig" appear in the web a religious experience. I didn't comprehend the significance of people driving from great distances to witness it, and experts coming out to debunk it. As a child I was disgusted that Fern's mother didn't want her to spend so much time in the barn. Most importantly, I never even thought about how Charlotte's words MAKE Wilbur a better pig. I completely missed his transformation from runt of the litter to really Terrific and Radiant.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I read a lot of children's books now and then, always good for a re-read.

Charlotte's Web makes me cry. Every time.