Thursday, June 01, 2006

I just finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird. It's amazing that I made it to 31 years old, 4 years of high school, and a Bachelors degree without every having to read it. People have been recommending it to me for a long time, and Ethan had a paperback copy, so I finally picked it up. What an incredible book!! I wish I had a dad just like Atticus Finch. (Ethan says everybody who ever read the book wishes the same thing.) I loved the subtlety of the story...how things escalate but that isn't always the focus. I'd always heard it was about racism, but I love how it's really just about being a good person.

Ethan just moved the movie to the top of our Netflix queue. I can't wait for it to arrive.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am SO glad that you finally read it!! Wahoo!! I just love that it's about so many things--tolerance, growing up, family, respect, etc. And I agree about Atticus--and you'll feel that way even more after you see the movie because, like I said, Gregory Peck is perfect.

Mimi said...

My son just read it this year for school - I re-read it recently - it is amazing isn't it?

I'm with you, Ethan and Stephanie, everyone says that about Atticus.