Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sewing turned out to be hazardous to my health. At least to a small part - my fourth toe on my left foot. A few days after finishing the nightie pictured below in progress, I dropped a needle onto my carpeted bedroom floor and couldn't find it. I meant to go back and vacuum it up to find it later, but I got distracted and didn't find it until I tripped and fell and it got jammed into my foot. I yanked it out and went about my business. When I woke up the next morning (11/26) my toe was swollen and hurt like heck. I went to the doctor - he gave me a tetanus shot and an antibiotic to get rid of the infection. I hobbled around painfully for a week and by Sunday I realized part of the needle was still in there. Tuesday night I couldn't take it anymore and went to the emergency room, where a physician's assistant tried to get it out in the office unsuccessfully and referred me to a podiatrist. My podiatrist turned out to be awesome - he's a great doctor! But he couldn't get it out the next Thursday (12/6) because since I'd had xrays at the emergency room on Tuesday, the needle had moved. I had surgery with a live xray and sedation to take it out on Friday. All this trouble over something so stupid!! Now I have to wear a surgical shoe, I'm on my third round of antibiotics, and the doctor says I only have a 5% chance of losing my toe. My mother in law offered to bring over the sewing machine and teach me how to make doll clothes but I had to say no thanks - it sounds like it is probably too dangerous for me.

No comments: